For more than 80 years, NBC News has been documenting the people, places, and events that have shaped our world. Now, for the first time, NBC Learn is making these historic and current events resources available to teachers, students, and parents.
NBC Learn is a rich, dynamic, and innovative resource that provides thousands of historic news reports, current events stories, original content, primary source documents, and other digital media specifically designed to help teach and engage students of all levels and abilities.
Through an annual site subscription, NBC Learn K-12 provides an easy, affordable, and effective way to infuse technology and digital media into 21st century learning.
NBC Learn K-12 subscription includes:
- Over 10,000 resources - short 2 to 5 minute videos are engaging, relevant and inspiring, and help students develop critical thinking skills.
- Current events - updated daily Monday-Friday, use these resources to help connect the real world to the classroom.
- Aligned to state standards and the common core - search titles by state, subject, and grade level.
- Mapped to curriculum - resources aligned to 28 K-12 subject areas including Social Studies, Science, Business and Personal Finance, Language Arts, and Health & Wellness.
- Personal playlists - keep resources organized or share them with others.
- Safe and trustworthy - each resource is selected to be K-12 appropriate, and held to the highest NBC News Standards and Practices.
- Interactive CueCard - patent pending media player makes downloading, annotating, citing and embedding resources fun and easy.
- Emmy award-winning original video - NBC Learn series including "Science of NFL Football," "Science of the Olympic Winter Games," "Chemistry NOW!" and "Finishing the Dream: Learning from the Civil Rights Era."
The NBC Learn content collections:
- Over 10,000 resources aligned to 28 K-12 subject areas including more than 80 years of archival NBC News materials from 1920 to the present.
- Demonstrate relevancy with Current Events, updated daily Monday-Friday
- Bring history alive with thousands of videos plus hundreds of historical documents from the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
- STEM-related content supports core sciences of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Sciences, Computer Sciences, and Environment Sciences.
- Original and engaging instructional content in vocabulary and grammar plus hundreds of reading and writing topics
- Interviews with authors, essayists, and writers of note on some of the significant works of the 20th century.
- Health and Wellness resources support the latest breakthroughs in physical, mental, and regulating health issues.
- Learn about economics, banking, investing, and entrepreneurship in our Business and Personal Finance section.
- Resources include a full set of bibliographic information including a printable transcript, closed captioning (videos), copyright, source, etc.
The state-of-the-art and patent-pending CueCard multi-media player liberates resources from the fixed page and allows teachers and students to watch video, see images, or read documents in an interactive, flippable card! See the media resource in high quality small format or full screen, extend the transcript drawer, write comments or directions in the notes drawer, or flip it over for a full set of bibliographic source information including a citation generator, and embeddable link. You can even assign groups of CueCards to your students or engage them in "trading" important CueCards and multimedia playlists with each other. Click here to learn more about the CueCard and its features.
NBC Learn has partnered with Edgate Correlation Services, Inc. to correlate all of our resources to all 50 U.S. state standards as well as the U.S. Common Core. Our state standards search allows teachers to search for NBC Learn content aligned by state, grade level, and subject area.
For media specialists and librarians, our resources are also support the AASL standards. Click here to learn more.
Your playlists are your own, personalized media library that you can use to save content as well as your own notes! For teachers, you might want to organize your playlists by class — for students, maybe you want to stay organized by subject — either way, your personal playlists are flexible.
An NBC Learn K-12 site license includes an unlimited number of concurrent accounts for teachers, students, and parents. Select from a High School, Middle School, or an Elementary School license.
NBC Learn offers a variety of pricing and discount structures for small and virtual schools, multi-building, district, consortiums and service centers, and can be surprisingly affordable. For a customized proposal for your school or district, or to speak to an NBC Learn representative, click here to email us.
2012-2013 Annual Subscription Pricing (includes unlimited streaming and download)
High School - $1,999
Middle School - $1,499
Elementary School - $999
Many educational technology funds are available for subscribing to NBC Learn K-12.
NBC Learn supports American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), Title I, Title II B and D EETT (Enhancing Education Through Technology) funding parameters and 21st Century Learning Goals. ARRA Title I funds help disadvantaged students bridge the achievement gap through improved student engagement.
IDEA or Special Ed Funds (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)
NBC Learn also supports Special Education and ELL (English Language Learners) through visual instructional resources and technology with closed-captioning and printable transcripts.
In many cases, NBC Learn customers have received funding through grant applications. Contact us if you would like assistance with your application.
Clear Creek Independent School DistrictClear Creek Independent School District (CCISD) in Texas is one of the leading school districts in the United States for integrating technology in the classroom. In early 2010, CCISD began using NBC Learn as a pilot program. After teachers found success using the product, NBC Learn was implemented district wide.
North Forest Independent School DistrictIn April of 2010, NBC Learn headed to Houston, Texas and conducted a teacher training session with the North Forest Independent School District (NFISD), one of the lowest-performing districts in the state. NBC Learn worked together with teachers to integrate real-world video clips into the district's science curriculum, increasing the student's engagement and knowledge.